Friday, January 19, 2007

Amos Lee-CD Review

A Philadelphia native, former Elementary School teacher who once opened for Norah Jones before being signed by Blue Note records, Amos Lee is a refreshing musician who uses folk, jazz and alt-country to create an amazing musical experience.

You get raw vocals that are set-off by the soft, soothing sounds of the acoustic guitar inspired from Lee's background. Just as Jack Johnson has the influence of his native state Hawaii -- laid back, upbeat and story-telling. Lee has the roughness of Philly - life, love and struggle. However, I think that both artists are a product of their environment. If Lee was from Hawaii or Johnson from Philly, the music would be remarkably similar to their current sound.

Lee’s sophomore album released Oct. 3, 2006 is a stellar example of what music should be today. Supply and Demand is a mixture of folk, jazz and country. I put this album in my player a month ago and it’s yet to be removed.

The first track “Shout out Loud” is upbeat and energetic. It has that “hook” that makes you want to sing out. Truly a pleasure, especially if you’re driving in rush-hour traffic or before you are fully awake in the morning.

If you dig a little deeper into the album you will come across two of my personal favorites -- “Night Train” and “Southern Girl.”

“Night Train” is a soft melody that paints a picture. The folk influence is prevalent as a means to tell a story. As a song it has all the important components -- romance, longing and desperation. An example can be found in the verse “And I'm thinking about a woman/ Who I would put no one above/ I'm not looking to replace her/ Just need someone to love.”

“Southern Girl” is a wonderful tribute to love lost. The lyrics pay respect a woman who obviously meant a lot to Lee. “You're a soft melody /Well I swear that I heard /From a lost mockingbird stuck up in a tree /We got a lot going on /Even though I'm not here /Please don't shed any tears for me day when I'm gone.” Maybe I’m a sucker for the romantic notions and this one got my attention.

The title track “Supply and Demand” address the concerns of balancing priorities in ones life. Walking the fine line between pursuing goals and quality time with those you love. How if you keeping searching for the next best thing you will miss out on the lives of those you love and eventually lose them all together.

If you haven’t heard of Lee I suggest buying the album immediately. You will not be disappointed. Supply and Demand, beginning to end, is easy to digest and will quickly become a staple in your music collection.

No comments: